Dark Side Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bring back painting comp?

4 posters

Go down

Bring back painting comp? Empty Bring back painting comp?

Post  styx Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:26 pm

This is more or less a request. I like to see painted armies on the field. As I travel around to several tournaments the lax nature of "must be painted to 3 colors" seems to be a thing of the past which is disappointing. Just would like to toss out the thought of bringing it into the mix again. This past team event was pure points and sports, which is cool, but to me theme and looks of the team also goes a long way to making a hobby event the best it can be. Plus when the prospective players walk in, a painting army is more inspiring than a bunch of grey.

styx

http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Bring back painting comp? Empty Re: Bring back painting comp?

Post  somogyi Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:28 pm

so are you volunteering? I am color blind and don't paint because of it. I am in the process of paying to get my stuff painted.

somogyi

Back to top Go down

Post  styx Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm

For what? To paint your stuff? I barely get mine done. Still, it just looks better painted and is part of the hobby. If people wanted to play something prepainted, that would be heroclix and such.

Also, I have no sympathy for the color blind excuse. I follow two blogs done by color blind painters and both do a fantastic job. I really respect that they put their love for the hobby before an excuse of a small setback. I also helped teach someone color blind back when I worked for GW to learn to paint. We worked within the color range he could see in first, building on that, then we worked on the colors that he was not able to see. One of the Perry Brothers lost a hand and still sculpts and paints with prostetics. People can do anything if they put their mind to it. You do some fantastic conversions and you have painted some stuff I know and you would do fine. I could say because of my vision I don't paint, but I still do. Slowly it is getting worse and I am sure some surgery is in my future for my lazy eye and decline in vision, still I am going to not let that set me back. Very Happy

styx

Back to top Go down

Post  somogyi Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:34 pm

ill admit the color blind thing is mostly an excuse, but mostly I'm just impatient and don't want to spend the time and effort to improve my painting skills. Painting was never a part of the hobby I really wanted to do. I love the building and playing. i don't have a problem paying for the painting of models. It is a good thing that i have friends that love to paint.

somogyi

Back to top Go down

Post  styx Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:40 pm

I will send you a membership card then. Smile

Serious, when I worked for GW, I was their worst painter. I was more into playing the game, putting things together and conversions. Matter of fact, I was king of the bitz catalog, everyone came to me for ides for projects and bitz to order. Painting to me was and is still a chore. I have to force myself to do it, I enjoy it once I get into it, but I am lazy also. Yet, I can't stand unpainted minis at public events. For pizza and beer night or open gaming to test something out, sure...painting is just one of the elements to the hobby that is ignored and it is sad.

Still, you only get better when you do something. Practice makes the best method to learn and you have some great painters around that area that can help you.

styx

Back to top Go down

Post  DaFitz Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:15 pm

If you guys need someone to paint I do it for alot of the guys down south. Just PM or email and we can talk about it.

P.S. I'm way too cheap
DaFitz
DaFitz

http://scenic40k.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Swags Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:04 am

I can back DaFitz up on his offer, he does great work and wont over charge.

A nice resource to consider for sure.
Swags
Swags

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum