Dark Side Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dark Side Get-Your-Army-Painted-Already Contest!

Go down

The Dark Side Get-Your-Army-Painted-Already Contest! Empty The Dark Side Get-Your-Army-Painted-Already Contest!

Post  DrBored Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey all! John here announcing the start of a new contest! The Dark Side Get Your Army Painted Already Contest! It's official this time.

Let's go over the basics before diving into the meat...

1. Entry is free!
2. Prize is $50 Dark Side Credit!
3. The contest will begin August 11th and end September 24th!

In order to enter, please present the following:

1. A list of a legal 1000 point army of Warhammer 40k/Fantasy
2. The models to match the list that you'll paint for this contest

Now we'll get into the explaining part of the contest.

Entry is simple. To enter you must present a typed list of the army you intend to paint. The list must be as close to 1000 points as humanly possible. You must also present the models that you intend to paint before you paint them. These models will be photographed and marked discretely on the underside of the base.

You do not have to submit your army exactly on the 11th! Please schedule an appointment with me before you start painting because each model will need to be photographed for records, and marked for the contest. I'm available most Saturday nights (past 11pm) and on most Mondays at about 4pm on, but if you can't make it during either of those times, we'll work something out to make sure you can join in when you have the models available.

The models you present must be assembled, and may be based and primed, but no drop of paint other than the primer may touch the model, base or otherwise. Priming a model in a color other than black and white will not be accepted. If you'd like to use a color primer, simply don't prime the models till after they've been photographed please.

Once the list is received and models photographed, you're free to begin painting! Go crazy! Paint up those 1000 points like no tomorrow and put your heart and soul into them to make sure your creativity and skill shine!

Armies must be presented before or on the deadline of the contest in order to be photographed and judged. You may present your completed army at any time before the deadline, but any time afterwards will not be accepted. Unfinished armies WILL be accepted, so even if you only have half of it painted, please bring it in to be photographed! Judging will be done by a 3rd party, and winners will be announced at a later date (TBA).

Points will be awarded for 3 categories: Completion, Effort, and Skill.
-Completion: If your army is fully painted with at least 3 colors, you will receive 100 points for completion. Basing is not required to qualify for full points here.
-Effort: This score is based on the honest effort involved in the army. An army of 11 Grey Knight Terminators will not receive as high of a score as a mixed army of leaders, vehicles/monsters, and/or infantry.
-Skill: This score is what will vary the most, and is based solely on the dedication to each model, and the cohesion of the army as a whole. Basing will account for 10 points out of a 100 point score here. Technique and result are the things that matter to this score, and so long as most armies are fully completed and are decently balanced in terms of effort and variety, this score will be the deciding factor for the winner.

Lastly, please do not change your army for the contest. I'm all for collecting a variety of armies and models, but the contest is designed to help you focus on one army through to completion. Swapping models is grounds for disqualification. Of course, feel free to keep painting more models for your army, though they may not be included in the final picture.

This contest is a fun way to get your army one big step closer to completion! Getting a fully painted army on the table feels so much better, and LOOKS so much better than two gray armies fighting across a table! Not to mention an added side benefit: a higher paint score at later tournaments! Getting your army painted in even a 3-color minimum is a great way to improve that paint score, which improves your chances at the higher tiers of a tournament.

I've put this contest together to encourage my friends and YOU to embrace one of the many aspects of the war gaming hobby; the painting aspect! Collecting, building, and playing are easy and fun, but when it comes to focusing on a set list of models and getting them painted, I can't help but notice that many seem to pass over this facet of the hobby. Of course, I'll be painting alongside you all, though my army will not be considered for the prize.

So let's get our armies painted already!

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask here, on Facebook, or even in person at the Dark Side. I'll see you there!
DrBored
DrBored

Back to top Go down